READ THESE EFFECTIVE 22 TIPS (A-Z) TO INCREASE THE BATTERY LIFE OF YOUR SMARTPHONE
However, the battery is the only component that is not sufficiently satisfying the smartphone users.
A 2000 MAh battery does not even last for 24 hours for many users. Of late, the charging time is getting reduced, but, the battery life remains almost the same.
Most of the people do not plan how to use and maintain their smartphone battery. They just charge it whenever they feel convenient and end up in earlier death of the battery within an year or two.
Therefore, it is essential to use the smartphone keeping the battery also in mind.
If you use the battery of your smartphone properly, it should last atleast for 3-4 years. Some times, it may last even for five years.
How is it possible?
Hence this article with all the practical tips:
By mentioning INCREASING THE BATTERY LIFE, I mean these two aspects:
(1) The total battery life time must be increased to delay the recurring expense of buying new battery.
(2) The duration between every charging must be increased.
Let us see it one by one:
22 TIPS (A-Z) TO INCREASE THE BATTERY LIFE OF YOUR SMARTPHONE
(1) INCREASING THE TOTAL BATTERY LIFE UPTO 4-5 YEARS
First, you should know what are the factors that determine the life of the battery?
(1) A battery life is not determined by the number of years. It is determined by THE NUMBER OF CYCLES OF CHARGINGS AND DISCHARGINGS.
(2) In other words, a battery life is determined by how many times it has been charged and discharged.
(3) In general, a ORIGINAL smartphone battery has the life OF BETWEEN 600-800 CYCLES OF CHARGINGS AND DISCHARGINGS. I have mentioned upto 800 cycles generously, but, most of the batteries last for 600 cycles only except some good makes.
(4) Now, you would have understood that your battery will die depending on how fast your battery completes every cycle of charging and discharging.
(5) If you charge your smartphone battery every day, it should last for 600-800 days, ie, 1.5 to 2 years, because it completes these 600-800 cycles fast every day. We can have it as 1.5 years itself because 800 cycles are available in only a few cases.
(6) If you charge your battery once in every alternative day, it should last for 1200-1600 days, ie, 3-4 years. We can have it as 3 years itself because 800 cycles are available in only a few cases.
(7) The low cost batteries may not even touch the 600 cycles mark and they die even within 250-350 cycles.
(8) If you charge your batteries every three days, it may last the maximum of five years. Expecting the battery to last beyond five years may not be possible in many cases.
(9) In other words, though you use the battery properly, it will be difficult to make it to last more than five years. If you have fortune, it may last upto six years in rare cases. In very fortunate cases, a little more. Therefore, do not dream that you can use it for 10-12 years if you charge it every five days.
(10) Therefore, in this article, we are discussing how to extend the battery life atleast TILL ITS MAXIMUM POSSIBLE LIFE TIME OF 5 YEARS.
(11) Now, it is understood that MORE DURATION BETWEEN EVERY CHARGING – MORE WILL BE ITS LIFE TIME UPTO FIVE YEARS IN MOST CASES.
Next question (2) comes:
(2) HOW TO INCREASE THE DURATION BETWEEN EVERY CHARGING OF SMARTPHONE BATTERY?
If you need to increase the duration between every charging, you need to follow these 6 primary and 16 general tips:
(A) 6 PRIMARY TIPS:
(1) Do not charge the battery before it is drained atleast till the last line indication, or till it reaches 15-20% of its capacity.
(2) Many people have the habit of charging the phone every day at a certain time though it has 50-60% of battery that can be used.
(3) Though you charge the battery when it has not drained till 15-20% (say, in 50-60% itself), it is considered as a full charge cycle. Therefore, you have wasted about 40% of the battery life.
(4) If you go out with the remaining charge of 50-60%, you may have a fear of the remaining 50-60% of battery power getting drained fast in the middle of the day, you can always take a charger to office/ college. Whenever the battery reaches 15-20%, you can charge it from wherever you are at that time.
(5) Unless in unavoidable situations, charge the battery ONLY TILL it shows FULLY CHARGED or the moving lines stop indicating the fully charged status of the battery. Because, even if you stop charging at 70-80%, it will be counted as one full cycle of charging.
(6) Therefore, in a nutshell, a good practice of charging a battery is to start charging when it shows 15-20% of remaining battery and to charge it till it shows FULLY CHARGED.
(B) Now, 16 A-Z General Tips to increase the duration between every charging:
To make the battery to drain slowly, we have to check our usage pattern. We should take some steps to reduce the speed of discharge of the battery.
Let us see what we should do to slow down the battery discharge. Many tips that have been given here applies to avoiding heating up of smartphone also.
(1) USE DUAL SIMS ONLY IF YOU REALLY NEED:
Now a days, many phones come with dual sim slots and most of the users use dual sims. In dual sims, both the sims are always on and hence both of them are always searching for signals from their respective towers. This needs more power and hence the battery drains fast. If you really need both the sims, keep the both. Otherwise, break the one into pieces and throw one in the dustbin. Or, keep the rarely used sim in OFF position in settings –> Sim Card Manager. This will save much power and hence your battery will last longer.
(2) DO NOT KEEP THE PHONE UNUSED FOR MORE THAN 15 DAYS, DO NOT DRAIN COMPLETELY AND DO NOT CHARGE FOR LONG TIME:
Draining the battery to zero again and again will definitely weaken the battery. If you are not going to use the phone for more than a fortnight, remove the battery from phone and keep it safely inside a box and keep it in a place where there is no much heat. After 15 days, take that battery, fit it in the phone again, charge it to about 80% and then remove it and keep it in the box again. The point is that, on storage, the battery should be charged atleast once in every 15 days to avoid zero drainage. Because, the battery may gets dried up and hence it will not be possible to start the recycling of chemicals again. Therefore, start charging the battery even when it shows 15-20% of power balance. Many have the habit of putting the phone in charging and sleep. The overnight or excessive charging may cause the battery and other components to heat up. Therefore, stop charging once the indicator lines stop moving and it shows “FULLY CHARGED”.
(3) DO NOT PLAY GAMES AND VIDEOS FOR LONG TIME:
In general, the battery power consumption will be more while playing games or watching videos, because it requires more memory and power. Most of the memory is held up and the battery starts draining fast while playing games and videos. Therefore, reduce playing games and thus, you can save the battery power for making important calls, messages, etc. I have seen many people playing games for long, allowing their battery to drain completely and ending up having no power for making/ receiving important calls/ messages. The caller gets the message of phone being in SWICHED OFF condition.
(4) BACKGROUND APPS ARE ALWAYS EATING THE POWER:
Some apps are the real culprits because they are always running in the background and are consuming excessive power and memory. You might have installed news apps, reminder apps, etc., that are always running in the background and sending notifications. Some apps like Google Play Services and those apps that send regular notifications will also consume more memory and hence more power. Therefore, keep the apps deactivated. Whenever you like to check the updates, news and notifications, activate them, read and then, deactivate again.
(5) UNINSTALL UNUSED FEATURES & DISABLE LESS USED FEATURES:
Internet and Bluetooth consumes more power because they are always searching for strong signals. We do not use internet and Bluetooth all the time. Always keep the Bluetooth in “OFF” position, except when you use it.
SHAREIT app consumes less memory and hence less power compared to Bluetooth and hence you may use it for local sharing of files.
Unless it gives you revenue, do not be an addict in using internet. Allot a time to use internet every day. Turn on the internet and turn off again after using all the required features. Have a habit of checking and replying in Facebook, whatsapp, etc., only once or twice every day.
You can use internet (except whatsapp and urgent internet use) through your desktop/ laptop system in a fixed convenient time every day. Too much of usage of mobile phone for so many activities make the the battery drain fast.
(6) WEAK SIGNALS FROM TOWERS MAKE THE BATTERY DRAIN FAST:
If the signal strength of 3G/ 4G/ above is very weak in any area, it is better to switch off the 3G/ 4G and enable them only when you use them. Because, weak singals give strain to your mobile since it has to work hard to gather the signal that causes the battery drain faster. Using 2G for calls and messages will give less strain to your phone. If you use 3G/4G & above alone for calls too, speak from an open place where there is sufficient signal. If this too does not help, post your connection to an another operator who gives good signals in your area.
(7) CLEAR THE POWER EATING JUNKS REGULARLY:
Whenever you use your mobile phone for calls, internet, sharings, videos, games, etc, some temporary files, caches, etc., are created and stored in your phone that consumes more memory and space. Therefore, you have to clear them regularly, otherwise, you will end up in short of memory and space.
To free your phone, you can use apps like CLEAN MASTER LITE or CCLEANER from the Google App Store. It has the features of clearing Junk files, phone boost, BATTERY SAVER to hibernate the apps that consume more battery life, and antivirus also. Cleanse your phone whenever this app reminds.
(8) MORE HEAT – FASTER DRAINAGE OF BATTERIES – AVOID EXTRA COVERS:
Using extra cover for their mobiles to avoid scratching keeps the phone with heat. This heat will weaken the battery. Therefore, better use the smartphone with its original case itself. If you use plastic made extra cover, it may prevent the heat from going out.
(9) GPS DRAINS THE BATTERY FAST:
GPS is always searching for signals for geographical data. Therefore, ensure that the GPS in your mobile phone has been disabled, unless you really need it.
(10) UNWANTED APPS DRAIN THE BATTERY FAST:
Most of the apps we have stored in our mobiles are not used by us even once a month. If you check the memory test for every app, you will find that some apps like Google Play Services consume more memory. If you do not use their features, disable it.
How to disable or uninstall apps:
Go to the settings –> Other settings –> applications manager and check the portion “downloaded applications”. It will show all the apps that you have downloaded and installed so far. Do the following:
Click on the name of every app and see the two options shown:
(i) UNINSTALL the apps that you never use at all, without hesitation. If you need them later, you can download them and use.
(ii) FORCE STOP the apps that are used by you only now and then. They will be automatically ENABLED/ STARTED whenever you use those apps again or whenever you restart your mobile. After using, FORCE STOP them again. This will prevent these apps from consuming more memory unnecessarily.
When you try to force stop, it will show warning as “If you force stop the app, it will cause errors”. Do not care the warning message. It is general warning only and meant for a few apps only. Force stop is the only option available to stop that app till you restart the mobile again. Once you switch off your mobile and restart, then some of the stopped apps may start to run automatically. Therefore if you restart on any day, force stop the selected apps again. If you are confused which apps to stop and which are essential, my suggestion is, download and install Clean Master Lite. It will show which apps are consuming more memory and whether we can deactivate them or we must have that app. If it says that it can be deactivated/ hibernated you can deactivate/ hibernate them. If your phone does not allow the Clean Master to hibernate the apps, just get the details of memory consuming apps from clean master and then, you can manually hibernate (force stop) them one by one as written above.
TEN APPS EVERYONE SHOULD HAVE IN THEIR SMARTPHONE:
Some apps can not be avoided from using. Therefore, it is good to know what are the essential apps we may require:
(i) Play store (ii) Facebook lite (iii) Twitter (if you use) (iii) SHAREIT (iv) Dictionary (v) Call recorder (vi) CCLEANER PROFESSIONAL PLUS (or) CLEAN MASTER LITE (vii) Any one or two apps that help you in your business or spirituality or hobby. (viii) Your Bank Mobile App (ix) Call Taxi App (x) Good antivirus (like norton).
More unwanted apps, more consumption of memory and more heating.
(11) OLD VERSIONS CONSUME EXCESSIVE POWER:
Keeping older versions of apps and your OS (Eg: Android), may make their functions difficult and hence MAKE THE BATTERY DRAIN FAST. Therefore, keep the automatic updates on for all the apps and your O.S
(12) ENABLE WIFI ONLY WHERE SIGNALS ARE AVAILABLE:
Always keeping the WIFI on is another reason for the battery draining fast because the phone will always be searching for WIFI signals. Therefore, keep the WIFI off and enable it only when you use it in a wifi spot.
(13) KEEP THE BRIGHTNESS & VOLUME AT 50-60%:
More brightness, more usage of power and hence fast drainage of battery. Just 50-60% of the brightness will be sufficient for normal usage. Excessive volume is also power consuming. Therefore, keep the sound at the sufficient audible level. Usage of earphones may use less power, but, it is not good for ears if used much. Therefore, use earphones with less volume that consumes less battery power.
(14) CHECK THE CAPACITY OF ‘RAM’ :
When the capacity of your phone’s RAM is insufficient, it gives strain to the processors and components and hence the BATTERY GETS DRAINED FAST. Therefore, increase the capacity of RAM. For just calls and basic internet, even 2 GB RAM is sufficient. But, using more apps, videos and games, your phone needs more RAM to make the phone function freely without struggling for memory and power. IF THE FREE MEMORY IS MORE, THE PHONE WILL HAVE LESS STRAIN AND HENCE LESS DRAINAGE OF BATTERY.
(15) DOES YOUR PHONE HAVE SUFFICIENT ‘ROM’:
Like RAM, a custom ROM can ease the funtioning of the phone during heavy usage. Therefore, consider inserting or upgrading ROM to sufficient capacity in a service center.
(16) USE ONLY THE ORIGINAL BATTERIES:
If you had changed your original battery, ensure that you have changed only the company made original battery. Some substandard compatible batteries may be unstable and contain less quantum of chemicals inside the battery and hence last for shorter duration only. Therefore, always buy original battery from the smartphone manufacturer or from good standard stores.
These are the general reasons that may make your battery drain faster. Any few or all the above moderation steps if taken collectively, can make your smartphone battery last longer.
If the battery loses power fast because of the above reasons, hereafter, your battery should last longer after every charging.
In case, the battery drains fast even after taking above mentioned steps, this is the time to change the battery.
Always replace original battery from the manufacturer to get the best out of your battery.
Are these tips are useful to you? If you have any other useful tips, share in the comments.