Before reading this post A STEP BY STEP TUTORIAL TO START FREE WORDPRESS.COM BLOGS, WEBSITES AND PORTFOLIOS, if you need the preliminary details about blogging, read these following posts:
Some frank and unbiased facts before telling HOW TO START FREE WORDPRESS.COM BLOGS, WEBSITES AND PORTFOLIOS:
(1) As discussed in our other tutorials, if you need a free blog with all the basic features and also earning opportunities, BLOGGER.COM is the best choice.
(2) However, if you have the idea of just practicing with the same wordpress environment till taking your blog to self hosted wordpress platform, you can choose wordpress.com.
(3) However, you should keep in mind that you can’t earn using free wordpress.com blog and it has only limited features compared to the self hosted wordpress.
Now read the tutorial:
HOW TO START FREE WORDPRESS.COM BLOGS, WEBSITES AND PORTFOLIOS
(1) Go to www.wordpress.com.
(2) Click the GET STARTED Button at the right side top.
(3) You will be taken to a page where you are given four options to start with:
(i) Start with a Blog (Free as well as Premium Options)
(ii) Start with a Website (Free as well as Premium Options)
(iii) Start with a Portfolio (Free as well as Premium Options)
(iv) Start with an Online Store (Only Premium Option)
(4) Out of the four choices given, the first three choices, ie, blog, website and portfolio can be started in either of the following two plans:
(i) FREE PLAN: WITH THE FREE WORDPRESS SUB DOMAIN:
There will be no cost for this. But, you have to settle with a subdomain that looks like “blogname.wordpress.com”.
(ii) PREMIUM PLAN: USING A CUSTOM DOMAIN NAME OF YOUR CHOICE:
To use this option, you need to choose the WORDPRESS PREMIUM Plan. It involves a cost calculated monthly and paid annually and as fixed by wordpress from time to time. In this option, you can use the domain name that you already have purchased from some other domain sellers or you can purchase a new domain through the option shown by wordpress itself. In this premium option, you have more freedom and features including the permission of showing your ads.
(5) The fourth choice ONLINE STORE can be started only for a price (25 dollars per month as in October 2017). WordPress offers this facility partnering with WOOCOMMERCE, a popular online store.
– If you wish to start a BLOG to share your ideas and skills to others, click the option “START WITH A BLOG”
– You may like to use wordpress platform for a website for your business or personal activities. If it is the case, click “START WITH A WEBSITE”
– If you use wordpress as Fortfolio of images, videos, etc, click “START WITH A PORTFOLIO”.
– If you like to start an online store by paying a monthly cost, click “START WITH AN ONLINE STORE”.
(6) After choosing the choice (whether blog, website, portfolio or woocommerce), click on that choice. You will be shown three templates. First choose a template and click the PICK button shown at the center of the template.
(7) Now, you will be taken to the page to choose the name of the Blog or website or portfolio or online store.
(8) If you already have a domain name from any provider, click the link that asks “Already own a domain?”. Then, type that name in the box shown there and then click ADD.
(9) If you don’t have a custom domain name, then, see the box shown above in which you will be asked to type a name or keyword related to the niche (topic) of your Blog or website or portfolio or online store.
For example, if your niche is cooking, type ‘cook or recipe’ or something else. Or, if you have a particular name for your blog, like VINNYCOOK, then type that word. If that word is available as blog’s Subdomain name and/ or custom domain name, a list will be shown with many choices of names even while you are typing the name or keyword. You can type different names or keywords till you get a satisfactory choice of name.
(9) The first name shown will be the FREE SUB DOMAIN NAME. If your choice is a free blog only, select that FREE SUB DOMAIN NAME and Click the SELECT button.
In case, you choose the FREE SUB DOMAIN NAME, you will be taken straightaway to the SETTINGS page omitting the steps 10-15 given below and you can get a blog free of cost.
(10) The other names shown in the list are the CUSTOM DOMAIN NAMES that are available to buy with different suffixes like .com, .net, .org, .blog, etc. If your choice is the Premium blog, select any of the CUSTOM DOMAIN NAMES shown and Click the SELECT button.
(11) If you had selected a CUSTOM DOMAIN NAME FROM THE LIST, you will be next taken to the PLANS Page where you can select which plan you like to choose – Personal, Premium or Business.
(12) In October 2017, the personal plan costs less (Rs.200/month or above). The Premium Plan Costs more (Rs.575/month or above). The Business Plan costs high (1665/ month or above). All the rates are subject to change from time to time. Use these rates just for a reference to get an idea of the trend. Go to the wordpress.com website to get the current cost.
(13) After choosing the plan, click GO TO…. Button.
(14) Now, you will be asked to CREATE YOUR ACCOUNT by entering your email address, username and password. Enter them and click CONTINUE.
(15) Now, you will be taken to the payments page if you had chosen a CUSTOM DOMAIN NAME and any of the three plans given above.
(16) After these formalities, you will be taken to the SETTINGS Page.
Enter correct details in the settings and get your blog.
After starting your blog, you can later change the themes/ templates from many of the given themes/ templates, change the settings, colour schemes, widths, etc.
If you continue blogging for a week or two, all the features will become familiar to you.
Hope this Post has been very helpful to you. If you found it useful, please share this post in your social media accounts using the SHARE buttons shown below.
If you are benefited by this site and like to support this site, please visit this “STORE & PAYMENTS” Page of this site.